Monday 20 December 2021

November 2021 Update

I need to warn everyone before you open this - it's expensive.

Since moving into this house in 2019 there has been one glaring, awful, hated thing about it - there is no shade. Out the front, or out the back, there is zero shade. The front yard isn't too bad because it's north-facing, and has plants on all sides. that keeps the heat down. But along the west side of the house in the backyard is a narrow, paved area that's just wide enough to collect all the beating heat of the afternoon sun and turn all the western rooms into an oven. 

Along the western, heat-gathering side of our house are the toilet (turned sauna), the main bathroom, and a big glass window-sliding-door combination that happily transports the heat into our house. This sliding door opens onto a useless, long narrow stretch that was 5metres at its widest point, two at its narrowest, and 13metres long. Standing out there on a mild, sunshiney 24-degree day talking to a contractor about putting in a verandah I was dripping sweat. Thanks to the above-mentioned window that heat came into the house rapidly, and any day above 30 degrees needed air-conditioning to keep the heat at bay.

To top it all off, this hot narrow corridor was also the only way from inside the house to the back lawn - meaning it was an important path for our dog to tread. And while she loves lying in the sun on hot days, I'd rather not subject her to burned paws to get to the bathroom.

So, we shelled out for a verandah. And it's amazing. Sunday was a 35-degree day and the first hint of how much impact this verandah would have. Standing under it in the peak of the heat, it was still warm, but it creates a wind tunnel that captures the slightest breeze and is pleasant even when you think it will be too hot. I was able to touch the windows without burning my hand. I used the toilet without dripping sweat and sliding off the seat. And while I still turned on the air-conditioner, I only ran it for an hour.

It's turned an evil, hated, heat trap into a pleasantly usable space. And I can move my budgies (and the moths that feast on their seed) outside for the majority of the year. I'm stoked, to say the least.

Goals For 2021

The exact same as 2020. I think we all agree to write off 2020.

Goal #1: 50% Savings



Yet again, the actual goal is for this 12 month period to sit comfortably above 50%. Ideally, I'd like to bring the 3year rate up as well, but we'll see how that actually goes.

November Rate: -53%
2021 Average: 32%
Three-Year Average31% 

Goal #2 Reduce Average Spending by 10%


The goal is to reduce my average spend by 10% from January 2019 - bringing it down below $4,400 (a nice rounded number).

November Spend: $11,146.84
2021 Average Spend: $5,328.98
Goal Spend: $4,400 (or less)

Spending

Here's what I spent in November, which includes the save-to-spend amounts. 


Category
Spent
Budgeted
12 Month Average
Home$6,370.50
$954.17$1,487.84 (up $472.54)
Over Budget. The verandah was not cheap. It won't pay for itself with the reduced power bill from using less air-conditioning, but it will absolutely raise the property value and, importantly, increase my happiness living here.
Investment Property 1$1,050
$1,050$1,219.76 (down $4.16)
On Budget. Mortgage, council rates, and saving for repairs. 
Home turned IP2$950$950$932.93 (up $16.66)
On Budget Just the mortgage, and the saving for future repairs/upgrades.
Personal Bills$137.10$137.50$135.51 (up $0.53)
Under Budget. Nothing new.
Groceries$56.56$200$204.01 (down $23.91)
Under BudgetI cashed in all the gift vouchers I've scored throughout the work year and put them towards groceries. The vouchers are never for stores I like to shop at anyway.
Pets$1,026.71
$350$421.57 (up $58.43)
Over Budget. Someone I know had a hip dysplasia scare, and I found out it can cost $8,000 to treat. I have no reason to think my girl has it, but she's horribly clumsy and knocks when they're young can cause it. I decided to insure her for a year just in case while I build a (big) emergency fund for her.
Roller Derby$48.67
$166.67$121.96 (down $3.51)
Under Budget. I paid some leftovers from our camp in October, and put some money aside for new gear one day.
Travelling$50$105$50 (no change)
Under Budget. Just putting aside money for the future. I have retracted my plans to travel in a couple of months because my knee recovery will restrict me from doing a lot of things. 
Comfort Food$29.80$50$31.13 (up $2.48)
Under Budget. I had the sads and filled it with bakery treats. Lots of bakery treats.
Car$199
$200$245.27 (up $13.70)
Under Budget. I didn't actually spend anything! I still need to book in a service though 
Donations$0
$15.52
None - I did donate to a friends Go Fund Me, but they didn't hit their target and gave me the money back.
Other$1,228.50$183.33
$420.95 (up $189.38)
Over Budget. In a fit of irritation, I bought a robovacc. I have a dog that sheds, a cat that sheds, I shed, and my budgies feather everywhere. I also despise vacuuming but love the aftermath. I've wanted a robovacc forever, and in the middle of 'my leg doesn't work' sadness, I bought one. I run it every single day, and it mops as well!
Total$11,146.84$4,316.67$5,286.45 (up $630.55)
Total ex. Donations$11,146.84
$5,270.94 (up $630.98)
Over Budget. Two big spends resulted in a massive blowout month. To add to my irritation, my insurance claim still hasn't come through, so I haven't been able to claim back the expenses from my knee surgery.

1 comment:

  1. Remember that budgies like fresh fruits too! I find that apples are popular with most birdie types. That'll reduce the amount you spend on pet food.

    ReplyDelete

A quick 2023 check-in

I have been away for a tumultuous 12 months. I made a lot of changes. I changed career, I removed my birth control, and I very nearly ended...