Friday 21 April 2017

Money quotes you missed in pop culture

Did you know that popular culture is full of inspirational quotes about finances? They're hidden in plain sight. From Shakespeare, to Monty Python and back again, the world is full of pearls of wisdom, and I've collated some of the best, just for you. Have a read, your eyes will be opened, your horizons expanded. You will never view the world the same way again.



The Doctor: People assume that money is a strict progression of income to expenses, but actually, from a non-linear, non-subjective viewpoint, it's more like a big ball of wibbly wobbly... money-woney... stuff...


Kim Pine: [unenthusiastically] We are Sex Bob-omb. We are here to sell out and make money and stuff.


Dr. Vera Gorski: ...I want you to budget.
[Bjork's "Army of Me" playing over speakers]
Dr. Vera Gorski: ...
[Music stops]
Dr. Vera Gorski: If you do not budget you have no savings. And we don't keep things here that have no savings. You see, your fight for financial independence starts right now. You don't want to be judged? You won't be. You don't think you're strong enough? You are. You're afraid. Don't be. You have all the numbers you need. Now budget.


Hamlet: To spend, or not to spend- that is the question:
Whether 'tis nobler in the wallet to suffer
The costs and expenses of outrageous spending
Or to take arms against a sea of pointless consumerism,
And by opposing end them. To save- to invest-


Stewardess: Ladies and gentleman, this is your financial advisor speaking. We regret any inconvenience the sudden portfolio movement might have caused. This is due to periodic value corrections we encountered. There’s no reason to be alarmed and we hope you enjoy the rest of your investment journey. By the way, is there anyone on board who knows how to fly a plane?


Old Man from Scene 24: Stop! WHAT is your name?
King Arthur: It is Arthur, King of the Budgeters!
Old Man from Scene 24: WHAT is your quest?
King Arthur: To seek Financial Independence!
Old Man from Scene 24: WHAT is the airspeed velocity of an unladen swallow?
King Arthur: What do you mean? African or European swallow?
Old Man from Scene 24: I, I don't know that! *gets pulled to the sky and thrown down the Gorge of Eternal Debt*
Sir Bedevere: How do you know so much about swallows?
King Arthur: Well, you have to know these things when you're king, y'know.


Brian's mother: He's not the Financially Literate. He's a very naughty boy! Now, piss off!


“My name is Inigo Montoya, you budget poorly, prepare to die!”


Narrator: FI. the final frontier. These are the voyages of the moneyship Enterprise. Its five-year mission: to explore strange new investments, to seek out new income and new financial habits, to boldly go where no man has gone before.


Mal: "I swear by my pretty floral bonnet, I will invest."

So you see, financial quotes are everywhere if you keep your eyes and ears open! What's your favourite finance quote?

3 comments:

  1. I love this post. We seem to have very similar tastes!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. :) thanks. I had a great time writing this

      Delete
    2. :) thanks. I had a great time writing this

      Delete

A quick 2023 check-in

I have been away for a tumultuous 12 months. I made a lot of changes. I changed career, I removed my birth control, and I very nearly ended...